Introducing the JROTC

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

One class in our High School that I think deserves more recognition is the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, or the JROTC.  The Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps is a federal program sponsored by the United States Armed Forces in high schools and also in some middle schools across the United States and United States military bases across the world.  Today, JROTC in schools across the United States is one of the largest character development and citizenship programs for youth in the world.  

In Beavercreek’s JROTC, there are many different activities that the students (referred to as cadets) can participate in.  One of these such activities is the Raider team. This team is based off of competing in athletic competitions involving things like tire flipping, obstacle courses, 5ks, truck pulling, or runs up and down bleachers while wearing weighted backpacks.  

Another activity that the cadets in JROTC can participate in is the drill team.  In the drill team, cadets participate in marching competitions involving nine or twelve people for varsity events.  In addition to this, there is an honor guard that is used for football and basketball games. They are in charge of presenting the flag at these events. 

Along with these activities, there are many more activities in JROTC that the cadets can do.  These activities can be anywhere from Orienteering to Aircraft club.

When asked about the benefits of being in JROTC, sophomore Justine Buell, one of the Honor Guard cadets of the Beavercreek JROTC, states: “I think it is a great opportunity to improve your leadership skills because you are put in a lot of positions where you are in charge and people listen to you so you are responsible for whatever happens.” 

The JROTC is currently raising money for their program by doing a raffle for a 2019 Honda Accord so make sure to enter!