Debating the Second Amendment

John Rick, Inside BHS Section Editor

As you know, the Second Amendment is a heated topic in our country due to the many mass shootings that have occurred in the past few years. It is mentioned in almost all political debates. On the Democratic side, the debate is on how to regulate the people that carry guns while most Republicans want to have few restrictions on guns. The sides often debate how much gun control there should be. 

Right now it is legal to possess a handgun, rifle, or shotgun with a state permit or license in Ohio. On the other hand, it is illegal for someone to carry a gun without a concealed handgun permit in Ohio. It is also illegal to sell a handgun to someone under 21 and any firearm to someone under 18. 

A survey from 2016 found that 86% of U.S. registered voters support universal background checks. Universal background checks would mean that almost all gun transactions in the U.S. would be recorded and go through National Instant Criminal Background Check System. As of right America only requires universal background checks for sales from licensed firearms dealers. John Barnes, a junior at Beavercreek High School, says, “There should be more background checks.”

Licensed firearms dealers only account for about 78% of gun transactions. That means that 22% of gun transactions happened without a background check. With our current set up of background checks, someone could get guns easily without a background check. How can we stop people from getting guns when it is not safe for the rest of America?

With gun restrictions we can help keep America safe and help prevent mass shootings. I’m not suggesting that we should remove the Second Amendment. I am only suggesting that most people should not be able to obtain a rifle. Only people who need a rifle for their work should be able to obtain one, if they’re licensed. Other people if their are licensed should be able to obtain a handgun after a background check. 

I also believe that you should not be able to carry a gun in public spaces with or without a permit to carry.