Dancing to Victory

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dancing to Victory

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

“Start unknown, finish unforgettable.”  Junior Abbi Hulliberger of the Beavercreek High School Dance Team says, “This quote is our motto and what we base our team off of.”

The Beavercreek High School Dance Team consists of six varsity dancers and fourteen junior varsity dancers.  Every year there are tryouts for the teams in April and then the season lasts all the way until early February.  

Throughout the season, the BHS Dance Team does several events.  During the beginning of the season they prepare dances to pep band tunes that they perform during half-time of home football games.  Later on in the season, the dance team competes in competitions against other dance teams. This year the team will have five competitions.  At the end of the season, the dance team will have one final competition to end the season at the NDTC, the National Dance Team Championship, in Disney in the first week of February.

The Beavercreek High School Dance Team practices every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of the season from 3:00-6:30; The varsity team practices in the main gym of Ferguson while the junior varsity team practices in the Ferguson multipurpose room.  In addition to the normal Monday, Wednesday, Friday practices, the dance team has practice on Saturdays from 9:00-12:00, practices that they call “technique” in which they focus on the fundamentals of their dancing. For home football games, the dance team eats and then practices before the football game starts in order to be ready for their performance at half-time of the game.  Starting in January, the dance team kicks their practice schedule up a notch and practices every day from 3:00-6:30.

This season, the dance team still has two more home football games to perform at as well as all of their competitions.  Don’t miss out on your chance to see the Beavercreek High School Dance Team in action!