College Football Kicks into Gear

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

All across America, people get excited for college football to start up in the fall.  For those of you who don’t already know what college football is about, college football is American football played by teams of college student athletes. This season started up with Florida and Miami facing on Saturday with a final score of 24-20.  College football will really kick into gear this Thursday with several games, including MI State vs. Tulsa, Texas State vs. Texas A&M, UCF vs. Florida A&M, Clemson vs. Georgia Tech, and Utah vs. BYU. 

People enjoy watching a team play throughout the college football season and see how they do.  In college football, the top twenty-five teams are also ranked, so many people enjoy watching as a good team goes up and down the ranks.  In Beavercreek, many people enjoy watching the college football teams around us. These teams could include Ohio State, Ohio University, Bowling Green, or others around us.

The football season lasts for fifteen weeks, usually beginning at the end of August and going all the way until the beginning of December.  After the regular playing season there are bowl games, a final game between two teams. The top four teams move on to a playoff where the rank one and four teams face each other and the rank two and three teams face each other.   The winners of these two games face each other to earn the crown of final college football champion for the year.  

When asked what he thinks about college football starting up, Beavercreek High School junior Chase Bennet said, “I can’t wait for the season to start up!  It’s gonna be a good one.” Overall, college football season is a fun time of the year for everyone who enjoys cheering on their college team as well as for those who simply enjoy watching some good football.