Building a New School

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

Have you ever felt claustrophobic at school because of how crowded it can be?  Do you ever wish you could have more room in the hallways so that you don’t get squished in between the people right next to you?  This could all be solved by building a new school.

Recently there have been debates on whether our school district should build a new high school to accommodate the growing population in our schools.  On one hand, building a new high school is of course very expensive. On the other hand, the need for a new high school plan has never been greater. In the next 10 years, Beavercreek City Schools is expected to accommodate an additional 1,000 to 1,200 students!  On average, the district’s six elementary school buildings are already at 102 percent capacity so the addition of even more students would not be good.

All of these factors contributed to the Beavercreek Board of Education approving a new master facility plan including the construction of a new high school building coupled with adjustments to current facilities in order to accommodate growing student enrollment.  During their regularly scheduled monthly meeting, the Beavercreek Board of Education received a presentation by subject experts as well as the Community Advisory Team that ultimately recommended the construction of a new high school building as part of a new master facility plan.  According to Superintendent Paul Otten, “Construction of a new high school will meet the learning space needs of the district well into the future.”

An email sent to the schools states that along with the extra space, the new high school building would “give all district students a high school that is suitable to offer modern learning experiences and a technology infrastructure to ensure they are getting the kind of education needed to prepare them for college or the workforce, allow for continued usage of all the district’s existing structures, minimize disruptions to students due to construction, and provide facility adjustments that allow for a more balanced distribution of the elementary school population.”  

All of this depends on if the school can obtain enough funds from passing a levy on the ballot.  Although it won’t be built or finished for another couple of years to come, this new plan should get everyone excited for the future!