Police Pursue Wrong-Way Driver on U.S. 35

John Rick, Inside-BHS Editor

On October 16, 2019, a car travelled the wrong way on U.S. 35. This ended up in a police pursuit that ended on Grange Hall Road towards the U.S. 35 overpass. U.S. 35 stretches across 417.7 miles of Ohio, but this police pursuit ended up in Beavercreek. 

This crash had a huge effect on Beavercreek and the whole state of Ohio. The pursuit ended with a crash involving a semi. The semi was carrying 8,000 gallons of ethanol. The semi was overturned during the crash, causing some of the ethanol to leak onto U.S. 35. U.S. 35 had to close for a few hours.

The driver and passenger of the wrong-way car had minor injuries and were taken to the hospital while the semi driver had more severe injuries and was quickly taken to the hospital. Police believe that alcohol and drugs were not a factor in the crash. 

The police pursuit started around Linden Avenue and Smithville Road, which is in Linden Heights. During the chase, speeds reached up to 100 miles per hour. Also, at some point during the pursuit the suspect got a flat tire. The cause of the flat tire is unknown.  

Police believe his intent to entering U.S. 35 the wrong way was to try and lose the police. Finally, the police also have stated that the suspect appears to have history of committing violent crimes. The suspects will be charged with failure to comply to police signals and stealing because the car was stolen by the suspect. 

Wrong-way driving creates very dangerous situations like this one here. Mathew Macdonald, a junior at Beavercreek High School, said, “This crash was a tragic event and will always be a reminder to be cautious while driving.” So when you are driving, make sure you are being cautious and always watch out for wrong-way drivers.