Learning About the GCCC

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

Many people often forget that Greene County has a Career Center.  Still more people don’t even know what the Greene County Career Center is.  The Greene County Career Center is a place where high school students seeking career-technical training can go to be a part of a workforce development program.  

Starting with building tours in 8th grade, students across the county are introduced to the Career Center’s programs and opportunities.  During students’ sophomore year they have the opportunity to participate in Career Awareness Days, days that involve visits to three programs of their choice offered at the Career Center.  On-line applications for admission to these activities begins the week after Thanksgiving and can be found on the Greene County Career Center webpage. Later in February, sophomores get the chance to visit the Career Center for an entire school day.  In addition to these visits, the GCCC will be visiting sophomore classes on October 31st.

So, why would somebody want to go the the Career Center? The Greene County Career Center offers students significant cost savings when it comes to attending college through their college Tech Prep initiative.  A number of Greene County Career Center programs also have agreements through the college system to offer free college credit while still in high school. Along with this, the GCCC gives students the opportunity to earn industry certifications that are accepted across the nation.  Mrs. Laws, the guidance director in charge of helping students transfer to the GCCC, states that “the GCCC allows students to work the job field that they want to work in and see if it is a good fit for them before they have to commit to anything.”

Over the last 10 years, data has indicated that approximately sixty percent of GCCC graduates go on to some kind of post-secondary education.  This post-secondary education could include a two- or four-year university or college, a career college, an accredited apprenticeship program, or another industry-based training program.

Anyone who wants to learn more about the GCCC can contact Mrs. Laws, the guidance counselor here at BHS, or Mrs. Janet Baughn, the Career Counselor at the GCCC, at [email protected].