Gymnastics Gears up for the Season

Preston Hancock, Student Life Section Editor

Everyone knows about the football team, the soccer teams, the cross country team.  But one sport that everyone always forgets about that really deserves some credit is the gymnastics team. 

Starting on the first week of November, the BHS Gymnastics team starts their practices.  The team practices at Gym Quest Sports Academy on Kemp Road every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 6:45 until 9:00 and every Sunday from 4:30 to 7:00.  The team will start competitions in January, and the season will end in March.

Competitions for gymnastics normally includes four events: uneven bars, floor, vault, and balance beam.  The uneven bars include gymnasts swinging from two different bars while doing tricks. Another event, floor, has gymnasts tumble while doing a dance routine to instrumental music.  The event vault includes gymnasts running at full speed onto a springboard and flipping over a stationary table. Finally, the event balance beam has gymnasts do flips across a 4-inch wide, 16-foot long piece of wood elevated above the ground.

This year’s team includes fourteen girls.  The seniors this year are Izzy Espinoza, Abby Greenisen, and Kierstan Dennull with the coach of the team being Rick Reedy.  The members are very excited for this season and they believe that they could do very well. Senior Izzy Espinoza states, “Our chances of doing well this year are very high” and senior Abby Greenisen similarly said that “this team has a lot of potential. I’m excited to see how far we’ll go.” 

In the past two years, the team has placed third at districts.  This has put them one place away from qualifying for state each year with many individuals still qualifying for state.  These past records clearly shows that the team has the capability of making it to state this year! Make sure to give the BHS gymnastics team your support!