Girls’ Cross Country Team Makes History

John Rick, Inside BHS Editor

This weekend the Beavercreek High School girls’ cross country team became the first team to qualify for the Nike National Cross Country Meet. 

To qualify for this tournament, a team must go through multiple stages. The teams play first in a divisional round followed by a state regional round. If a team does good enough in those rounds they go on to a state round where they play the best teams in their state. Then you go on to a national regional round, and if you do good in that round then you qualify for the Nike National Cross Country Meet.

Qualifying for the Nike National Cross Country Meet is a huge accomplishment. Only 22 teams across the nation make it to this prestigious meet. The Beavercreek High School girls’ cross country team is ranked first in the state of Ohio and is ranked seventh in the nation. Obviously, this is a great achievement for the team. 

The Beavercreek High School girls’ cross country became the fourth Ohio team to make it to the Nike National Cross Country meet this weekend, the weekend of the 23. This weekend the girls’ cross country team came in second out of 32 teams. Those teams came from 5 different states. 

Taylor Ewert, a senior at Beavercreek High School, led the team by placing third overall and first team all region. Savannah Roark, a senior at Beavercreek High School, was third team all region. Other girls that helped the team qualify for the Nike National Cross Country Meet were Jodie Pierce, Juliann Williams, Kendall Hobbs, Grace Dailey, and Megan Nowe. 

The Nike National Cross Country Meet will take place in Portland, Oregon. Kendall Hobbs, a junior and cross country runner, said, “Getting there is the hardest part and now we will do the best we can.” On behalf of the Beavercreek Beacon staff, goodluck to the girls’ cross country team in Oregon.